Welcome to Sokobauno
Creative and innovative puppet theatre, that is fresh, modern, accessible, challenging and educational. Sokobauno collaborate with designers, musicians and other professionals to ensure their productions are made to the highest possible standard.
Sokobauno was formed by Shane Connolly in 2002 After his graduation with an HND (MERIT AWARD) in 'Puppet Theatre Arts' from The
Scottish Mask and Puppet Centre. Shane has worked as a puppet maker, mask maker and or performer with, Norwich Puppet Theatre, Visible Fiction, Scottish Opera, Vanishing Point, National Theatre of Scotland, The Byre Theatre, Tabula Rasa Dance Company, Platform at The Bridge, The Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh Theatre Workshop, Giant Productions, Upfront Puppet Theatre (England) Clydebuilt Puppet Theatre, Scottish Carnival Arts Company. Collaborators Theatre (England/France), Thetre Du Risorius (France), Strom und Wasser (Germany).
- Shane has recently collaborated with Clare McGarry of Grinagog theatre in a new show especially commisioned by Arts in Fife's children's festival, Tot Fest. The production (Toowit Toowoo) which toured around Fife's venues in November was performed in the Little Fawn caravan theatre. This performance will be on the road again in March this year at Eastwood Theatre Puppet, The Animation Festival and The Scottish Mask and Puppet Centre and the Little Fawn will be touring nationally from March too. Please visit www.littlefawn.co.uk.
- Galloshins; A Folk music and puppetry project with Folk singer Alasdair Roberts and Drew Wright of Wounded Knee, Galoshins toured as part of Tracer Trails - Archive Trails project in October 2011. Galoshins was part of a larger project by graduate Emily Roff of Edinburgh university and co founder of Tracer Trails. The artists (very open) brief was to research and extrapolate from the vast sound archive at Edinburgh's School of Scottish Studies and produce new work inspired by their residencies. Eilleen Campbell, Alasdair Roberts and Drew Wright were the three invited.
I was approached by Alasdair to help re imagine and re interpret Galloshins, a 'resurrection' folk drama originaly performed around Haloween. It dates back as far as the early 17th century. Sokobauno worked closely with Alasdair in the design and construction of the figures and created a traditional glove puppetry booth to present the play. Shane is also involved in the musical performance of Alasdairs' researched and re-worked songs as part of the production.
The Little Fawn caravan theatre. See the menu bar on the left.
Norwich Puppet Theatre
A long stint at Norwich Puppet Theatre in 20112012 April 2012, as a puppeteer on Red Riding Hood, with fellow puppeteer Zannie Fraser, the show has been built, designed and directed by the renowned Peter O'Rourke.
In rehearsal with glove puppets Joyce and Maureen, the washer woman in Red Riding Hood with Zannie Fraser on little Red.
- Whuppitie Stoorie: Research is now underway for this wonderful scottish story. It will feature as our first prouction for The Little Fawn caravan,
- Recording of the music and songs from our Circus Invisible show with the remarkable Sarah kenchington, plus an 'invisible animal' colouring in book.
Available here soon!.
Pet Project 666 (working Title) written by Morna Pearson and Directed by Natalie Ibu. Initial workshopping ideas in 2010 and fnow currently on hold.
Shane is also a professional musician. For information on all musical collaborations, live performances and recordings please see the music page.
**** New Show in 2012 **** New Show in 2012 **** New Show in 2012 ****
Sokobauno are pleased to announce there application was a success for the Scottish Puppet Animation's Rehearsal Development Award. The award is for new work to be staged in the Little Fawn puppet caravan in 2012.
- We will work in collaboration with Animator Emma Bowen and are planning to explore new techniques combining video animation with toy theatre.
- Sokobauno have a rehearsal/studio space in The Kinning Park Arts Complex in Glasgow.
- Sokobauno live and prepare their work in an old farm cottage in Stirlingshire, Scotland
My dog at the cottage